Celebrity Overdose - Jim Morrison
December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971
Drugs have claimed some of music’s greatest talents including the Doors frontman who was just 27 when he was found dead in a Paris apartment bathtub. While there’s no autopsy report to back up this claim, most believed he died of an a heroin overdose, having accidentally injected it believing it to be cocaine.
Celebrity Overdose - Brad Renfro
July 25, 1982 – Jan. 15, 2008
The young actor caught fire in Hollywood thanks to roles in such breakout films as “Apt Pupil” and “The Client.” However, his career burned out due to alcohol and drug-related problems. He passed away inside his Los Angeles home at the age of 25 and the Los Angeles County Coroner confirmed that his death was due to an “acute heroin/morphine intoxication” from IV drug use.
Celebrity Overdose - Ol’ Dirty Bastard
Nov. 15, 1968 – Nov. 13, 2004
The rapper, best known for his work with the Wu Tang Clan, died from an overdose attributed to a lethal mixture of cocaine and the prescription drug Tramadol. He collapsed inside the New York recording studio of fellow hip-hop star RZA.
Celebrity Overdose - Chris Farley
Feb. 15, 1964 – Dec. 18, 1997
The “Saturday Night Live” star died accidentally from an overdose of cocaine and heroin, known as a speedball, in his Chicago apartment.
In the final years of his life, Farley had sought treatment for obesity and drug abuse on 17 occasions. On December 18, 1997, Farley was found dead by his younger brother, John, in his apartment in the John Hancock Center in Chicago. An autopsy later revealed that Farley had died of a cocaine and morphine overdose early that morning. Farley’s death is often compared to that of his SNL idol John Belushi, who also died at age 33 of an accidental drug overdose consisting of cocaine and heroin.
Celebrity Overdose - John Belushi,
Belushi, famous for work on “SNL” and classic films like “Animal House,” or “The Blues Brothers” died as a result of injecting a speedball at the Chateau Marmont in West Hollywood, Calif.
May 11, 1982 – July 13, 2013
The “Glee” star admitted to Parade that his substance abuse problems started when he was very young, sending him to rehab at the age of 19. His substance of choice? “Anything and everything, as much as possible,” he told the magazine. “I had a serious problem.” And while he did get sober for many years, a relapse sent him back to rehab in April 2013, but he was unable to kick his habit. Following Monteith’s death in a Vancouver hotel room, the British Columbia Coroners Service concluded that the 31-year-old died of “a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol.”
Just like illegal drugs, large amounts of sugar can be very bad for you. In addition to obesity and diabetes, sugar can deeply affect your metabolism, impair brain function and make you more susceptible to heart disease and cancer. It can even form premature wrinkles.
Given all this, it’s pretty likely you’re over-consuming. Almost 40% of children’s diets now come from added sugars and unhealthy fats. To put it in perspective, this infographic from OnlineNursingPrograms.com shows just how much sugar the average American consumes.
On the left is an image of your brain.
In the center is your brain on drugs.
Then, on the right, is your brain on sugar. Notice the similarities between the middle and right images? The normal brain has a lot more red stuff highlighted in it — called Dopamine. This chemical is produced in the part of the brain that is associated with reward. When someone experiences a reward — say while eating a really good meal — their Dopamine (red stuff) level spikes. For addicts, the opposite is true: That spike in Dopamine only comes in anticipation of the reward, as opposed to the actual reward itself. Later, once the reward is gotten, the effects are blunted because the brain has been flooded with dopamine as it thought about eating.
Celebrity Overdose Series - Amy Winehouse
“So the last two or three days of her life, she drank an awful lot of alcohol,” Winehouse said. “And this happened And this has happened before. But over five weeks she hadn’t drunk. This was proof that she was moving towards abstinence. These things happens, but she drank an enormous amount of alcohol when she did drink. And this time unfortunately, there was nobody there to take her to the hospital when she passed out. Security were there, but they thought she was asleep, and this dreadful accident happened. It was alcohol poisoning.”
Mitch believes that while his daughter’s progression towards a clean life had been long, and drawn-out, she had really turned the corner before her final relapse.
“The last 18 months of her life were possibly the best 18 months of her life,” he explained. “She had a new boyfriend. They were very happy. There were times when she was drinking heavily, and there were large periods when she wasn’t drinking at all.”
“This was someone who was moving towards abstinence,” he added. “But unfortunately, she didn’t quite make it.”